Sunday, November 3, 2019

What I've Noticed as a Barista


Gabby Sadej
WGSS
Op-Ed Blog #2

              Working as a barista at Starbucks has been one of the best experiences I’ve had in a long time. The job is entertaining, my coworkers are some of my best friends, and the partner benefits are even better. The one thing about my job that always makes me feel good is the ability to help and serve my customers, and not just making them their lattes and flat whites. Three of our regulars are disabled in some way, two of which are blind and one in a wheelchair (our store is wheelchair accessible with a ramp and low-level tables). One of my favorite regulars often comes in, wide smiles and apologizing as he accidentally taps customers with his white cane which signifies that he is blind. He orders the same thing every time, a large earl gray or royal English breakfast tea, double cupped and sleeved so he doesn’t burn his hands, no lid. No matter how busy or not we are, anytime I am on register, I always offer to walk him to a table, reassuring him that nothing has been left on the counter and asking him about this day. He always tells me how excited he is to come in and talk to us, asks how Luke (our old shift manager is doing), etc. I’ve never noticed, but even during my training period when I met him, I always assisted him, it was never something I was told to do, I just did it. When I visit other stores, I offer to help people, even if I don’t know them. I also notice that when I do this, I’m typically one of the few who do. As an abled bodied person, I find myself often asking why aren’t there others doing this? I mean sure the nice guy on the Port Authority bus offered his seat to an elderly woman, but why didn’t anyone help the gentleman in a wheelchair lift the seats so he wouldn’t take up the aisle? I find myself examining these situations and how people of abled bodies could be helping people who don’t have the same abilities that we have.
              In my WGSS class, Bodies in American Culture, we have been examining disabled vs abled bodies in our society. One of the readings is Beast of Burden by Sunaura Taylor talks about her experience being disabled and how it has impacted her daily life. In her book, she often talks about her experiences doing things, like times she goes into coffee shops and uses her mouth to pick up a cup to take it back to her table or how she moves. She says that she can do things, like pick up her drink and move around, however, it is just a little different than the way an abled bodied would. She states that because she is doing it a little bit differently, people often stare or watch her. I have multiple questions regarding those situations, like why doesn’t anyone think to offer her a hand, or why don’t the barista’s offer to bring her the drink once it’s done? Do some people feel as though they are over-stepping when they offer or do they just decide that they don’t or can’t help?
              One of the other questions I’ve thought about is how to rethink what it means to be disabled. In class we’ve talked about this, our readings have also talked about it but what does “disable” truly mean? In my experiences, I don’t think anyone is truly disabled, I believe they just do things a little differently than what most people are used to seeing which can be off putting. In my lifetime, I’ve broken and sprained bones, just like many people have, but during that time I had to do things differently or needed assistance from my peers, who were more than overjoyed to help me out. So why don’t more people just help those that are in that position? I’ve witnessed it first hand all throughout my life but anytime a classmate was injured or in need of assistance, my peers jumped at the chance to help them out, however, for the few students who were disabled, assistance was often not given.
              These situations are so similar, yet many treat them like they are so different. If more people thought of disability the way they do other injuries or the way they’d want to be helped, I think it could make the difference for many people – abled bodied and disabled.

Some links to check out:

             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disability. You're Helping Too Much

Lamar Todd Professor Shaw WGSS 275 December 10, 2019 Blog #2: Disability. You’re Helping Too Much. On the CDC (center for dis...